Tuesday, September 23, 2008

RYDER CUP: HOW SWEET IT IS!

I am a sports nut. I like and have played all sports. Football, baseball, basketball, handball, racquetball, tennis, golf, and jogging are all past or present activities. My only regret is that I didn’t play soccer. (Growing up in West Virginia, we hadn’t even heard of soccer back then.)

Of course, I am not, and was not, any good in any of these activities; just “ok” in all as opposed to really good at any one activity.

Through the years, all these activities have taken a toll on my body. I have been to the garage/doctor for many repairs and am now mostly limited to occasional tennis and very frequent golf.

I began playing golf in 2002 after retiring for the first time. I would now be called a golf addict. At this point, there is nothing that I would rather do than play golf; other than be with my family of course (I had to say this in case my family reads this posting!).
As for watching golf, if Tiger is not in the hunt, forget it.

However, this most recent Ryder Cup weekend was so exciting that I could not stop watching it. The recent history of America’s record is not good. Who wants to see Colin Montgomerie (Monte as they call him) or Sergio or Padraig whip up the crowd and whip up on our prim and proper players? Think of the crowd at the US Open Tennis tournament: loud and rowdy. Well that is what happens in Europe at the Ryder Cup.

But in the USA up to now; not much crowd noise and not much emotion from the players. Our players were mostly staid and reserved.

Not this time however. Paul Azinger, the captain (Zinger for short), selected the players and paired them such that we created a raucous atmosphere. Now, I have some golfer friends who think that this was unprofessional and not good for golf.

On the other hand, I think that this helped our players get off to a good start and keep the momentum going. The players that were selected were “the young and the restless” and the wily veterans. From Anthony Kim, JB Holmes, Hunter Mahan, and Boo Weekly to the older veterans such as Phil Mickelson and Kenny Perry; they embraced the atmosphere and perpetuated it. I think this is exactly what Zinger wanted to do.

I could not walk away from the tube on Sunday. The USA entered with a slim lead and ultimately was able to maintain it and extend it at the end of the day. However, during the day, victory was in doubt at times. The broadcast was so entertaining and compelling that I could not turn it off. Who can forget seeing Boo Weekly “ride” his driver down the first tee like a kid rides a broom? What about the crowd chanting “Boo” after he rolled in birdie after birdie? What about the new Boo’isms that were created? When told that his opponent was critical about Boo whipping up the crowed before the hole was over: Boo responded that the opponent was just sore because he was getting a good butt whipping. What about seeing Anthony Kim hit to the green over the water on the first par 5 and then watching Sergio hit two into the water trying to keep up (he did a Tin Cup-if you don’t know what this means then go rent the movie of the same name). Anthony Kim whipped up the crowd on his way up the fairway on that hole. Kim kept up the pressure and just destroyed Sergio. Later on Kenny Perry did the same thing on that hole to his opponent. What about Hunter Mahan’s long putt for a win on the 17th hole? What about JB Holmes hitting his wedge to 2 feet (after a 350 plus yard drive) to cinch his match? Jim Furyk kept making putts all day and finally got a concession from his opponent for the Cup clincher! This kind of stuff just kept going hole after hole and match after match.
The crowd noise was deafening and pro USA! Wasn’t it great?

Of course, none of this would have happened if we weren’t winning the matches, which we did. Bottom line is that you have to make good shots and make the putts, which we did.

USA, USA, USA, USA; I keep on hearing it! I am still pumped about this! I think this is the most compelling sports broadcast since the “Miracle on Ice” or maybe the recent summer Olympics watching Michael Phelps and his teammates! Was it even better? Who knows but certainly they are all up there together!

Four years from now when the Ryder Cup is back in the USA in Chicago, I am going to be there. Anyone want to go with me?

Ray

If you want to subscribe to these postings, just click on “Subscribe” below and follow the instructions.

No comments: