Wednesday, December 24, 2008

DESTITUTE OR DISHONEST?

It is the Holiday Season. Really, it is the Christmas season for most of us and I am just going to say Merry Christmas even though that is not really politically correct! So, Merry Christmas!
I guess it is ok to say Happy New Year and you won’t offend anyone.

But that is really not what I am going to comment on. It is the season where people get frustrated with all the holiday fuss and they get stressed out over many things. The rush to get ready for Christmas, find the right gifts, get them wrapped, mailed, get the cards out on time, cook, find time to go to parties and be happy, etcetera, etcetera.

It is also the time to think about those less fortunate than we are. Everyone has someone who is less fortunate than you are unless you are totally homeless and penniless and in ill health. Make sense?

Well, that has been on my mind recently. So, let me tell you about a recent occurrence.

To set the stage for you, I am in McDonalds, my favorite fast food place by the way, getting a cup of coffee one morning. I am standing at the counter, looking to the right at the big screen TV and the eating area. There is a door to the outside and the parking lot at that end of the store.

I just happen to notice an older woman coming in the door with a big McDonald’s cup in her hand. She was wearing a bright blue coat which is what I first noticed. I sort of felt sorry for her as she kind of looked a little down on her luck. Anyway, I turned away and paid for my coffee, got the cup and went to put cream and sugar in at the drink bar.

Lo and behold, the woman was next to me filling up her drink cup. It struck me as odd that I didn’t see her in line with me. And then it hit me, she had just brought in an old cup and was getting her drink “free” so to speak. Well, maybe that is ok if she is really down on her luck? What do you think?

So, I am now outside getting in my car, which happens to be parked next to a big car: Ford Crown Victoria or Mercury Grand Marquis. In it is the lady in the blue coat and another similar lady. They both have their McDonald’s cups and are “yukking it up” about something.

I pulled out of the space and notice the license plate: 4GVNESS Like maybe have pity on me, the driver, an old lady? Or forgiveness of our sins is good? Or what? That is when I started to boil a little bit.

In the beginning of this event I was somewhat feeling sorry for her and feeling that it was “ok “for her to rip off McDonalds for a drink. However, once I saw what was going on and the fact that she was motoring around in a Crown Vic or Grand Marq, any empathy or sympathy that I had went away pretty fast. It especially went away when I saw her license plate! Does she want “forgiveness” or is she giving it?

It is easy to get cynical when you see something like this. There are those who really need a break and then there are those who are little better off but just take advantage of things. So, which is it? Is she really destitute and “needs” a free drink? Or, is she just plain dishonest?

You be the judge. I have made up my mind on this one. I think she has cheated the system and needs 4GVNESS. She won’t get it from me however.

What do you think? Agree, or disagree, what are your thoughts?

Ray

1 comment:

Nancy said...

She's totally dishonest. Being in the school system for many years, I saw this type of behavior from parents daily. For example, parents were supposed to sign their child's homework folder nightly. The next day, the teacher would check it and if there was no signature, they would use a marker and draw a line across the signature line. So, whenever the parents "woke up", they signed over the marker line. To stop this behavior, the teachers had to mark the line with a crayon so parents couldn't sign. McDonald's should color code their cups from day to day. There's nothing we can do about this immoral behavior, but it sure does make me angry.Keep writing and I'll keep reading!
Nancy Mc