Thursday, December 16, 2010

PLATELET RICH PLASMA THERAPY: FIVE WEEKS

Week five and time to visit the ankle Doctor for a checkup. He questioned me closely about how long I was non weight bearing on the ankle and how long I wore the ankle brace after going off crutches.

Then he yanked and twisted and poked my ankle to see if and where it hurt. The bottom line is that it still hurts some but not as much as it did before the procedure. I told him that I have not yet done any exercise on it such as swimming or exercise bike. He said I could start that stuff but not to do any running or elliptical etc. Still no golf until February 1.

We talked about what is next from a treatment perspective. He still thinks it will get better to some degree. The main problem is getting my foot in a position with orthotics so that it does not put strain on the tendon. Well, no luck there. He asked if I had done the orthotic at his office and I had. But, I said that I gave up on the adjustments after two tries.

He didn’t want me to give up and even said that further adjustments were on him. Did I have the orthotic with me, he asked. I got them out of the car. He looked at them and said that he agreed with me; they were not right and he would get the adjustments made. I am waiting on a call in a couple weeks.

So, I am going to make my own adjustments to existing pairs of orthotics and off the shelf inserts. I think I have enough knowledge to cut and paste pads etc to make something that works. That is my project for this weekend. No, I am not a podiatrist but did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night!

Bottom line is that the ankle is better and will keep getting better the more I can get the foot in the position that does not strain the tendon. The sooner the better on that. I can actually tell if a shoe or orthotic or insert irritates or makes it feel good.

Another appointment in February.

No comments: